The BH-33 was a 1927 design and, while most were constructed by Avia in Czechoslovakia, 60 were also built under contract in
Poland. It was a single-seat biplane fighter which, in its BH-33L variant, became the standard Czech fighter of the 1930s.
On January 31, 1929 Capt. A. Dzenitis was sent to Czechoslovakia to test fly the BH-33 and consider it for purchase
by the Latvian military. Later the same year he travelled to England to try the Bristol Bulldog for the same purpose, and
eventually the decision was made to purchase the Bulldogs.
- Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture