WHAT: Aviation Regiment's 18th Anniversary
WHEN: June 7, 1937
WHO: General Kurelis
General Kurelis inspects the Aviation Regiment Personnel
- Commemoration ceremony began with a radio broadcast by
Lt.Col Dzenitis about the founding and development of the Regiment.
- This was followed by a performance by the Aviation Regiment men's
choir, with orchestral accompaniment.
- At 7pm the Regiment gathered at the church for a service honoring
the 45 airmen who have died while serving in the unit. The service ended
with the choir, with the Vidzemes Artillery orchestra, performing
"Tevijai", by A.Jurjans and "Liela Junda.
- They then proceeded to the Bralu Kapi and Lt.Col. Kandis laid a
wreath on behalf of the Regiment.
- The following morning they gathered on the parade ground for inspection. The
parade was attended by commanding officers of all nearby units and numerous other
dignitaries. General Kurelis inspected the troops and then delivered a speech about
the difficulties in the early years of Latvian aviation. This was followed by
the singing of the national anthem, and a letter from President Ulmanis was read.
Similar greetings from General J.Balodis and Commander of the Army K.Berks were also conveyed.
- The proceedings concluded with dinner and song.
Sparnota Latvija, No. 36, June 1937, pg.188
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2017 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York