|Date: July 31, 1938
||Location: Liepaja, north aerodrome
||Known Personnel: L.Pillups, V.Dimza, V.Ozolins, Z.Valts,
B.Petersons, J.Rudzitis, T.Gailitis,
L.Svalbe, A.Vilks, A.Baumanis, Laimons Zarins, Pauls Jansevics,
||Aircraft Known to be Involved: Three KOD-1 and three KOD-2 aircraft,
the glider "Duja" from Vainode, locally built gliders "Spriditis" and "Gaigalina".
- Arranged by the Liepaja chapter of the Latvian Aero Club and the Liepaja Aizsargi.
- The festival actually began with an event at the Liepaja Aizsargu hall, where the
2nd Sport Aviators' class held their graduation ceremony. The graduates included (but are not
listed among the personnel above): T.Baumerts, E.Bekmanis,
J.Brempelis, A.Laimins, J.Petersons, A.Vilks and A.Visvaris. In addition to the graduating
2nd class, the new students of the 3rd class had gathered for the event.
- At the aerodrome, after the opening ceremonies, they christened the two new gliders built
by the 32nd and 87th aviation pioneers groups, both designs by E.Bekmanis. The two were named
"Spriditis" and "Gaigalina", respectively.
- The demonstration portion of the program included the usual aerobatics and precision flying.
This was followed by candies dropped to the children and airplane rides for some of the spectators.
- The highlight of the show was a parachute jump by Vilnis Ozolins and Zanis Valts.
- About 10,000 spectators attended the event.
|Z.Valts before jump
||V.Ozlolins before jump
||Ozlolins & Valts after jump
Sparnota Latvija No.51, September 1938, pg.630 - 633