|Date: October 30, 1938
||Fatalities: Toms Gailitis
||Aircraft Involved: VEF I-12
||Location: Riga (Spilve)
- Early in the afternoon of October 30, 1938 Toms Gailitis, a skilled pilot with the Aizsargu Aviacija flew
a VEF I-12 for regular flight practice. At 13:45, while performing an aerobatic maneuver, the aircraft crashed
steeply into the ground, killing the pilot instantly and totally destroying the airplane.
- A subsequent inquiry ruled that the pilot was performing very demanding aerobatic maneuvers with a low
cloud ceiling and that this compression of usable air space resulting in the crash.
- Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
- Latvijas Kareivis November 2, 1938
- Latvijas Kareivis November 3, 1938
- Sparnota Latvija No.53 (Nov 1938)