OTHER AVIATION-RELATED LOCATIONS
BRALU KAPI - RIGA
It was traditional to mark the graves of aviators with propeller blades. Of course, these are not as permanent as stone markers and eventually have to be replaced. During the 1930s sums of money were raised to finance proper memorials for aviators resting in Bralu Kapi / Meza Kapi, but the ones pictured above have fallen into a state of disrepair.
FIRST AVIATION SCHOOL (RIGA)
The first Latvian aviation school was founded in 1919 in the
neighborhood of the New St.Gertrude's church.
LATVIAN AERO CLUB HEADQUARTERS
In February 1936 the Latvian Aero Club moved into its new headquarters at the corner of Kalpaka boulevard and Elizabeth Street.
LKOD (LIEPAJAS KARA OSTAS DARBNICA)
LKOD stands for "Liepajas Kara Ostas Darbnica", the meaning of which translates to "Liepajas Naval Base Workshops". While the name suggests a military function, these workshops/factories actually produced a variety of both military and non-military items. The ship drydocks were next to factories producing farm equipment and road levellers. In the summer of 1935 they began producing aircraft as well, with the LKOD-1 and, later, the LKOD-2 being produced for the domestic market. They also produced a handful of individual protototype projects, but the LKOD-1 and LKOD-2 were the only two which were produced in any numbers. In 1936 this division employed over 80 people.
The "Pulka Seta" (which, literally translates, as the "Regimental Yard") is located in Riga between Sloka and Daugavgriva Street. The facility was initially constructed by the Russians prior to the First World War, to serve as barracks for the 116th Malojaroslav Infantry Regiment. In 1925 the facility was reallocated, to be shared by the Aviation and Armoured units of the military. This remained their home right up until 1941 when the Soviets occupied Latvia.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2021 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.