AERODROME - KALNCIEMS
- Situated in the west end of Riga, beside the Kalnciems highway, the Kalnciems airfield was constructed
by the Latvian Civil Aviation authority. It originally had one concrete hangar and was intended for the use of the Aizsargi and
the Aero Club. Today it is known as Riga - Skulte (see Riga airfields file).
- May 25, 1939 - the Riga and Jelgava glider pilots schools are unified and form one school, based at Kalnciems.
- July 4, 1939 - 1st Lt. E.Veldre is named Commander of the Kalnciems aerodrome. The airfield
now has two hangars, a workshop, and garage faciities for vehicles and other equipment. The area in front of the hangars is now
asphalt and the grass landing/takeoff fields have been landscaped for drainage.
- It was unveiled on April 28, 1940, but the airfield was turned over to the Soviets in the autumn of 1940. Years later, when
this airfield was being used by the Germans as they retreated from the Baltic, it was repeatedly overflown by Soviet pilots
but they reportedly never attacked the airfield itself (though they frequently bombed and strafed others). It is believed that they wished
to keep it intact for their own use when the Germans withdrew.
- The Jelgava glider club transferred its building materials and equipment to the airfield shortly after it opened. During the
occupation these materials remained, essentially undisturbed throughout the first Soviet occupation and the beginning of the
German occupation. In 1943 this airfield was turned over to the German aviation industry and they cleaned out the leftover
Latvian materials. Later, it was used as an occasional airfield for NSG 12.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2021 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York