AERODROME - VECUMI
- September 23, 1932 - V.Peculis makes a forced landing in DH9A #67 near Vecumi.
- October 24, 1935 - Vulfs and Timermanis make a forced landing in DH9A #4 near Vecumi.
- Located near the Vecumi railway station (Gulbene-Abrene railway line) between Gulbene and Jaunlatgale, about 14 km NE of Vilaka.
- 1941 - 1944 (German Occupation) - (Luftwaffe units based in Vecumi during the German occupation)
- When the Latvian Luftwaffe unit arrived in March, 1944, Janis Muiznieks described the airfield as being a mess, with the German unit's aircraft
scattered almost randomly along the side of the clearing, and the field markings (used to determine wind direction and take off alignment) almost unreadable.
He describes the field as having a number of barracks for the ground crew personnel, a small cabin for five aviators, with the rest of the fliers staying
at a larger building which also served as the unit headquarters.
- Towards the end of the war, as the Germans hurriedly retreated through this area, they left many guns and boxes of ammunition behind. The locals collected
much of this material (reportedly a few wagons full) and hid it on the now unused airfield, where it was later turned over to the
Latvian national partizan groups who were operating in the nearby forests.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2021 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York