ATRENS, ERNESTS OSKARS
- March 26, 1907 - Born, in Liepaja.
- Completed his basic education in Liepaja.
- Served his obligatory military service with a Cavalry unit.
- Transferred to the aviation regiment, completed flight school, and remained there until the Soviet occupation.
- 1942 (German occupation) - volunteered for military service and fought the Bolsheviks in the Ukraine and elsewhere.
- Transfers to a the Latvian aviation unit in the Luftwaffe (NSG 2) and, as a member of the 1st Squadron, participates in night bombing operations. (Rank: Lieutenant)
- As an aviator, he had a reputation for successful forced landings, in which he destroyed the aircraft but emerged essentially unscathed.
- Completed a total of 126 sorties, earning the Iron Cross, 1st and 2nd Class.
- At the end of the war, he is in POW camp in Czechoslovakia.
- Upon release, he lives in Kaiserslautern, Germany.
- 1956 - emigrates to the USA (New York)
- December 5, 1961 - Died, in New York
- Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1962, No. 1
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.1 pg. 35
- Hazners & Berzins (ed) Latviesu Karavirs Otra Pasaules Kara Laika Vol.7 pg. 22, 51, 73
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2017 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York