- October 18, 1895 - Born, in Cesis
- Completed trade school in Cesis
- Graduated from Military College in Russia
- Served with the Latvian Strelnieki in WWI and was captured by the Germans.
- After being released from POW camp by the Germans, he joined the Latvian military and fought against
the Bolsheviks. Rank: 1st Lt.
- After the war he transferred to the Aviation Regiment.
- Nov.11, 1923 - Commander of the Reserve Squadron.
- Served as a lecturer in the Aviation school.
- 1926: Section Leader at Aviation School (rank: Captain)
- 1933 - 1936 - Commander (non-flying) of the 7th Long-Range Reconaissance Squadron based at Krustpils.
- May 26, 1933 - Balodis begins advanced officer training, starting with Battallion Officer courses.
- March 13-14, 1935 - participates in the publicity flights around Latgale.
- March 1, 1936 - leaves his command at the 7th Squadron to complete flight school.
- Completes his flight training, graduates as a pilot.
- 1936 - assigned to Riga, promoted to rank of Lt.Col., and named Commander of the Reconaissance Division.
- June 22 - July 6, 1936 - Participates in the goodwill flight around Europe, led by Col. Indans. He flies, as a passenger,
in Fairey Seal # 29, piloted by Karlis Ercums.
- Frequently sent on international assignments to familiarize himself with aviation developments abroad.
- 1940 - Commander of the Aviation Regiment's Reconnaissance Section.
- During the Soviet Occupation he was released from military service but continued as president of the Aero Club.
- During the German Occupation he served with the Railroad Security Authority.
- After the war he emigrated to the USA.
- June 12, 1965 - Dies, in Detroit, Michigan (USA). Buried in the Woodlawn Cemetary, Detroit.
- Antena, Ilze (ed) Lacplesa Kara Ordena Kavalieri pg. 56
- Briedis, Emils Latviesa Stasts pg.82, 107
- Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1965, No. 5, pg. 70
- Humberstone, R. (ed) Latvian Air Force 1918 - 1940 pg.16
- Irbitis, K. Of Struggle and Flight
- Sparnota Latvija, No.32 (Feb 1937) pg.51, 53
- Sparnota Latvija, No.41 (Nov 1937) pg.307
- Sparnota Latvija, No.53 (Nov 1938) pg.688
- Sparnota Latvija, No.55 (Jan 1939) pg.23
- Sparnota Latvija, No.71/72 (May 1940) pg.169
- With research material contributions from M.Bukhman and E.Bruvelis.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2018 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York