BLAUS, KARLIS INDRIKIS
- March 23, 1901 - Born, in Ventspils
- His family were refugees in Russia during the First World War, where his father
was shot in Pleskava. He was shot by Bolsheviks, and as a result Blaus was
passionately opposed to communism for the rest of his life.
- Volunteered for the Latvian military in the Latgale battles vs. the Bolsheviks
- 1922 - Graduates from military college, rank of Lieutenant
- Transfers to the Aviation Division
- April 19, 1923 - completes his first solo flight
- October 11, 1923 - member of the Artillery Spotting unit.
- May 26, 1924 - flies as passenger with R.Gulbis in LVG #27 (R.Gulbis' log book)
- June 15, 1924 - participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve. Flew as the observer in DFW C.V #3, flown by R.Gulbis.
- June 29, 1924 - passenger in LVG #27, flown by R.Gulbis, which has a hard landing in heavy winds (breaking the tail skid).
- August 28, 1928 - promoted to the rank of Captain
- August 6-7, 1929 - participates in a goodwill flight to Tallin, Estonia.
- 1929 - 1932 - appears on the roster of the 1st Fighter Squadron
- Dec. 9, 1929 - is assigned one of the first new Bristol Bulldog fighters.
- May 25, 1930 - participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- May 31, 1931 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- 1931 - the recipient of the annual Clifford Harmon award (from the Ligue Internationale des Aviateurs) as the best pilot in Latvia.
- 1931 - flew the new Fiat CR.1 fighter
- June 5, 1932 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- May 28, 1933 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- 1933 - Commander of the 1st Fighter Squadron
- January 2, 1934 - replaced by Kandis as Commander of the 1st Fighter Squadron.
- September 9, 1934 - participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- 1935 - the Latvian Aero Club is reconstituted and, as a member of the transitional administration,
Blaus is assigned responsibility for aerodromes.
- September 8, 1935 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- May 1, 1936 - Named Commander of the 6th Recon Squadron.
- May 16, 1936 - promoted to the rank of Captain.
- June 7, 1936 - Commander of the 2nd Fighter Squadron.
- Dec. 31, 1939 - Graduates from advanced officer training
- 1939 - serves as adjutant to R.Kandis, Commander of the Aviation Group.
- June 7, 1939 - As part of the Aviation Regiment's 20th anniversary, he is awarded the Viestura Ordenis IV Class (with swords).
- 1940-41 (Soviet Occupation) - employed by the Priekule agricultural school, training
farm tractor operators.
- (German occupation) Assigned to the 26th Tukums battalion
- Assigned as Commander of the Latvian railway police
- At the end of the war he served in the guard at Nuremburg and Stuttgart
- December 17, 1980 - Died, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Also see Photo G005 in Group Pictures page.
- Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture Edvins Bruvelis
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1981 No.1
- R.Gulbis' log book
- Latvijas Kareivis May 22, 1930
- Latvijas Kareivis May 30, 1931
- Latvijas Kareivis June 2, 1931
- Latvijas Kareivis, Sept.5, 1934
- Latvijas Kareivis, Sept.11, 1934
- Marker photo courtesy of B.Rouse.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2019 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York