- Born: May 1, 1903, in Riga.
- Attended Rigas' High School #1
- October 8, 1919 - Volunteered for the Latvian Army. Fought against Bermont-Avalov.
- November 11, 1919 - Distinguished himself in a battle near Bauska. He captured
a windmill being held by the Germans and turned their own heavy machine gun upon them.
(Noted in the Lacplesis Order citation)
- January 5, 1920 - released from the Army so he could attend the University of Latvia.
- 1921 - Awarded the Order of Lacplesis.
- 1924 - an athlete, he was a participant and instructor with the SSS Socialist athletic association.
- February 15, 1927 - joins the Aviation Division.
- March 1, 1927 - reports for his obligatory military service (apparently his decorated service in the war of
independence did not excuse him from this post-1918 requirement).
- February, 1928 - completes officer training at military college.
- January, 1932 - completes flight school, graduates as a pilot.
- May 13, 1937 - promoted to the rank of administrative Lieutenant.
- November 5, 1937 - Crashes SV.5 #109 (with observer serz. Kaneps).
No serious injuries noted, but great damage to the aircraft.
- September, 1939 - Chief mechanic for the 5th Recon Squadron, based in Riga.
- 1941 (Soviet Occupation) - serves in the Latvian Squadron of the 24th Territorial Corps, stationed at Gulbene
and flying the SV.5s
- June, 1941 - Bungss was on leave in Riga when Germany attacked the Soviet Union, and immediately began
to make plans for defecting from the Soviets and taking refuge in the Incukalns forest until the Germans arrived.
- 1943 (German Occupation) - serves as a flight instructor in the Liepaja-Grobina school.
- Died: August 28, 1945, fighting on the Western Front.
- Antena, Ilze (ed) Lacplesa Kara Ordena Kavalieri
- Briedis, Emils Latviesa Stasts
- Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.1 pg. 34
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1983 No.3 pg. 31, 32
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1983 No.4 pg. 4, 5
- Hazners & Berzins (ed) Latviesu Karavirs Otra Pasaules Kara Laika, Vol.7 pg.17
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2017 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York