- 1899, May 9 - Born, in Liepaja
- 1919 - 1920 - Participated in the Battles for Latvian Independence
- Autumn, 1920 - Enrolls in Military College.
- 1922 - Graduated from Military College, assigned to the cavalry. An accomplished rider, who won many military riding championships.
- 1926 - Transferred to the Aviation Division, enrolled in flight school.
- 1928 - Graduates from flight school and assigned to the Naval Aviation Section.
- 1934 - Flying with the Naval Aviation Section, logs a total of 19 hours, 20 minutes.
- 1936 - Named Commander of the 8th Naval Aviation Squadron, promoted to Captain.
- 1940 - Soviets demand use of the Liepaja air base and Ercums is required to move his Squadron elsewhere.
- Nov.10, 1940 - (Soviet occupation) he is removed from his post, the military is liquidated.
- 1940 - Under Soviet occupation, Serves in the Latvian squadron (24th Territorial) and is one of the original flight commanders.
- 1941 - Escapes Soviet deportation by hiding in the forests.
- 1943, April 17 - (German occupation) he is drafted into the Latvian Legion (33 gren. Commanded by V.Janums)
- 1944, February 24 - leads a recon patrol to establish contact with the rest of the division and
is ambushed by Soviets near Glasacevo. Thirteen members of the 33-member patrol were lost.
- 1944, July 15 - Seriously wounded in battle, evacuated to hospital in Germany. Awarded the Iron Cross, 2nd Class.
- 1951 - Emigrates, with his family, to Houston, Texas. Finds employment as an airport mechanic.
- 1968 - remarries, after the death of his first wife, and moves to Los Angeles.
- 1975 - Diagnosed with malignant cancer.
- 1977 - Seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident.
- 1982, August 22 - Died of cancer in Los Angeles, California.
- Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1974, No.3
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1982, No.6 pg.35,75
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1983, No.5 pg.25
- Kadets No. 11 (1982)
- Prieditis, Erichs Eriks Latvijas Kara Flote
- Silgailis, Arturs Latviesu Legions
- Marker photo courtesy of B.Rouse.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2019 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York