MENCIS, ARNOLDS JULIJS
- April 25, 1915 - Born, in Riga
- 1936 - Joins the Latvian Air Force
- September 11, 1938 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at
- 1939 - Qualifies as a pilot-mechanic
- 1941-1943 - Served in a guard batallion in Riga
- 1943 - Volunteers for the Luftwaffe. With Rank of Lieutenant, he
serves with 1./NSGr.12 until June, 1944.
- June 21, 1944 - Selected for fighter pilot training.
- Briefly serves with JG 54.
- October, 1944 - Assigned to JG 1 "Oesau"
- November 20, 1944 - suffers a head injury in a forced landing, but
remains on active service.
- January 1, 1945 - Takes part in Operation Bodenplatte, when he
makes a forced landing about 10 km from Hengelo airfield. He was wounded and
taken to Quedlinburg hospital.
- April 23, 1945 - Captured by the americans, but then turned over to
- While being transported to the east, he manages to escape and hide in
- Autumn 1945 - returns to his parents' home in Riga.
- July 14, 1952 - arrested and sentenced to 25 years forced labour for
having served in the police battalion in 1941-43 and for his Luftwaffe
- November 5, 1955 - released from forced labour as one of the Kruschev
- 1997 - Awarded the Latvian Order of the Three Stars.
See also our WWII
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1975, No.1 pg.14
Vanagu Menesraksts 1979, No.1 pg.35
- In the Skies of Europe
Neulen, Hans Werner
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2017 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York