- 1935 - 1936 - a member of the first graduating class of the Latvian Aero Club Sport Aviators training program (in Riga). Concurrently,
Mikelsons completed the Aviation Regiment reserve pilot program. Rank: corporal
- As a member of the Aizsargu Aviacija he was a frequent demonstration pilot at Aviation Festivals.
- March 23, 1937 - transferred to the 8th Reconnaissance Squadron (naval) at Liepaja.
- June 18, 1937 - crashes in a Svenska Pirat.
- 1938 - became a test pilot for VEF.
- 1938- pilots the glider tug to transfer the LKOD-built Rhonbussard glider from Liepaja to Riga.
- May 21, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Daugavpils.
- July 2, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Rujiena.
- July 9, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Kuldiga.
- July 16, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Liepaja.
- July 23, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Gulbene.
- August 5, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Ventspils.
- August 27, 1939 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Vecauce.
- 1941 (German occupation) - Mikelsons makes a test flight in the Irbitis I-17 and declares its flight characteristics to be superior
to those of the Miles Magister and Soviet UT-2.
- May 28, 1942 (German occupation) - checks out Estonian aviator Habel on the SV-5s, and later the same day Habel prepares the other Estonian
pilots to fly four of the SV5s to Sonderstaffel Buschman.
- 1944 (German occupation) - served as a flight instructor at Liepaja-Grobina, preparing for NSG12, the Latvian unit in the Luftwaffe. Rank: Sargeant
- After war, emigrates to Canada.
- Bruvelis, E. Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture pg. 384
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1978 No.1 pg. 27 [Malins]
- Hazners & Berzins (ed) LKOPKL Vol.7 pg.17
- Irbitis, K Latvijas Aviacija un tas Pionieri pg. 148, 149, 150
- Irbitis, K. Of Struggle and Flight pg. 159. 160, 162
- Latvijas Aviacijas Fonda Avize, No.4, August 31, 1991, pg.3
- Loza & Ozolins, Latviesu Lidotaji Vol.2, pg. 8, 83, 87
- Muiznieks, J Putnu Cels, pg. 26
- Sparnota Latvija, No.62 (Aug 1939) pg.270, 272
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2017 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York