- 1927 - graduated from flight school (Rank: 1st Lt.)
- June 17, 1929 - crashed in DH-9A #63 at Spilve.
- August 12, 1930 - crashed, with 1st Lt. Trejs, in Flamingo #77 at Salaspils.
- Sept.9, 1934 - Participates in the Aviation Festival at Riga/Spilve.
- 1939 - Second in command of the 5th Reconnaissance Squadron, based at Riga.
- July 1940 (Soviet Occupation) - was required to serve in the Aviation Section ("Gulbene Squadron") of the Soviet
24th Territorial Corps.
- June 1941 - with the German attack upon the Soviet Union, the Gulbene Squadron was ordered to withdraw from
Latvia. Salmins, along with a good many Latvian members of the unit, decided they would not go with the unit and
instead deserted into the woods, where they awaited the German advance.
- February 28, 1944 (German Occupation) - delivered a memorable eulogy at the funeral of pilot Janis Stukans.
- March 22, 1944 - The 1st Squadron, NSG 12, is activated, with Captain Salmins as the commanding officer.
- June 1944 - absent for one month on medical leave
- December 1944 - with his squadron withdrawn to Germany, Capt. Salmins returns to the Kurzeme
pocket, joining the 19th Division fighting the Soviets.
- After the war the Soviets arrest Salmins and find him guilty under Section 58.1 of crimes agains the
Soviet Union (deserting from the Gulbene Squadron, serving with the Germans) and sentence him to death.
- May 1946 - Salmins is shot in a Moscow jail.
- Aviacijas Svetki (1932) Programma, pg.9, 10
- Bruvelis, E. Latviesu Legionari, pg. 198, 209, 211
- Bruvelis, E. Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1969 No.2 pg. 18, 19 [Rucels]
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1975 No.1 pg. 14
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1978 No.1 pg. 27 [Malins]
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.1 pg. 34, 35
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.2 pg. 21
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.3 pg. 9, 11. 12
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.4 pg. 17, 18, 21
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1979 No.5 pg. 22, 23, 25
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1980 No.1 pg. 38
- Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts, 1983 No.5 pg. 26
- Hazners & Berzins (ed) LKOPKL Vol.7 pg. 22, 51, 75
- Hazners & Berzins (ed) LKOPKL Vol.10, pg.232
- Irbitis, K Latvijas Aviacija un tas Pionieri pg. 90
- Irbitis, K. Of Struggle and Flight pg. 91
- Kadets No.4 pg 32
- Latvijas Kareivis, Sept.5, 1934
- Latvijas Kareivis, Sept.11, 1934
- Loza & Ozolins, Latviesu Lidotaji Vol.2, pg. 11, 31, 79, 80, 81, 112, 113, 150
- Muiznieks, J Putnu Cels, pg. 22, 26, 27
- Neulen, H.W. In The Skies of Europe, pg. 302, 309
- Sturtivant & Page The DH4/DH9 File pg. 267