- Jan.7, 1916 - Born, in Russia
- After completing high school, volunteers for the Latvian Army.
- Graduates from officer training at military college.
- 1939 - promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.
- 1939 - Assigned to the Aviation Regiment. Intended for the second
fighter squadron, his flight school was interrupted by the Soviet invasion.
- 1940 - The Soviets assign him to the 24th Territorial Corps, Aviation
Squadron (stationed at Gulbene).
- 1941 - when the Germans attack the Soviet Union, Svans is ordered to fly
one of the SV-5s in retreat to the Soviet Union, but instead flies behind the German
lines and lands near Vecpiebalga.
- Participates in the partizan group near Vecpiebalga.
- Oct.21, 1941 - volunteers for the first Latvian unit in the German military and
goes to the front.
- 1943 - transferred to the Luftwaffe Legion Lettland and, in that
capacity, makes over 100 combat flights.
- Receives the Iron Cross, 1st and 2nd Class.
- 1947 - emigrates, with his family, to Brazil.
- Attends university, receiving a degree in engineering.
- 1960 - emigrates, with his family, to San Francisco, California, in the United States.
- April 1, 2004 - dies, in the USA.
Andersons, Edgars Latvijas Brunotie Speki Un To Prieksvesture
Bruvelis, Edvins Latvijas Aviacijas Vesture
Daugavas Vanagu Menesraksts 1996, No.2
Kadets No.17 (1990)
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2021 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York