MELKUS, HARALDS A.
- Born: May 7, 1908.
- Studied aeronautical engineering at the Technical Institue in Danzig, graduating in 1937.
- 1937 - returns to Latvia and begins to work for Irbitis at VEF, who places him in charge of aeronautical engineering.
- Worked on the technical calculations for the I-12, and also designed a new propeller for that aircraft.
- 1938 - a member of the six-person Latvian delegation to attend the Aero Salon of Paris, France.
- 1938-1939 - Worked on the design and prototype of the I-16.
- 1941 (Soviet Occupation) - as Melkus had a German mother, he was able to emigrate to Berlin, Germany when the Soviets
- In Germany, Melkus found employment with the Aerodynamische Versuchsandstait zu Gottingen and the
Deutsche Versuchsandstait fur Luftfahrt, where he worked on trans-sonic aerodynamics.
- After the war he earned his doctorate in aerodynamics and was employed by the Wright Air Development Center
in Dayton, Ohio, USA.
- In the 1960s, appointed chief of the engineering department of systems analysis at Holloman Air Force Base, in
- Died: Dec.10, 1970.
- Irbitis, Karlis Latvijas Aviacija un tas Pionieri
- Irbitis, Karlis Of Struggle and Flight
LATVIANAVIATION.COM contents copyright © 2018 Gunārs Zūlis and heirs. All Rights Reserved.
Contributors of individual materials retain all rights to their collections and creative works.
LATVIANAVIATION.COM is a LATVIANS.COM project.
Design and hosting by [Clear-and-Simple] · Chicago · New York